- Eco-Approach and Departure at Signalized Intersections
- A V2I application where intersection traffic signals broadcast the current state of signal phasing (red, yellow, or green) and time remaining in that phase. These data are used by connected vehicles to support eco-friendly speed trajectories as vehicles approach and depart from a signalized intersection.
- Eco-Traffic Signal Timing
- An application that uses data collected wirelessly from vehicles (and other sources) to optimize the performance of traffic signals, thus reducing fuel consumption and emissions.
- Eco-Traffic Signal Priority
- An application that allows transit or freight vehicles approaching a signalized intersection to request signal priority, thereby adjusting the signal timing dynamically to improve service for the vehicle. Priority decisions are optimized for the environment by considering vehicle type, passenger count, or adherence to schedule.
- Connected Eco-Driving
- An application that uses V2I and V2V data to provide customized real-time driving advice to drivers, including recommended driving speeds and optimal acceleration/deceleration profiles, so that drivers can adjust their driving behavior to save fuel and reduce emissions.
- Wireless Inductive/Resonance Charging
- An infrastructure application that uses magnetic fields embedded in the pavement to wirelessly transmit electric currents between metal coils thus enabling the wireless charging of electric vehicles while the vehicle is stopped or in motion.
- Eco-Lanes Management
- An application that establishes parameters and defines the operations of eco-lanes. Eco-lanes similar to existing managed lanes, but optimized for the environment.
- Eco-Speed Harmonization
- An application that determines speed limits optimized for the environment based on traffic conditions, weather information, and GHG and criteria pollutant information, allowing for speed harmonization in appropriate areas.
- Eco-Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control
- A V2V application that uses connected vehicle technologies to collect speed, acceleration, and location information of other vehicles and integrates these data into a vehicle’s adaptive cruise control system, thus allowing for automated longitudinal control capabilities and vehicle platooning that seek to reduce fuel consumption and emissions.
- Eco-Traveler Information Applications
- A group of applications that disseminate information to support transportation choices that reduce fuel consumption and emissions.
- Eco-Ramp Metering
- An application that collects traffic and environmental conditions data to determine the most environmentally efficient operation of traffic signals at freeway on-ramps and to manage the rate of entering vehicles.
- Low Emissions Zone Management
- An application that leverages connected vehicle technologies to enable the operation of low emissions zones. Low Emissions Zones are geographic areas that seek to incentivize green transportation choices and deter high polluting vehicles from entering the zone.
- AFV Charging / Fueling Information
- An application that informs travelers of locations and availability of alternative fuel vehicle charging and fueling stations and inductive/resonance charging infrastructure, thereby alleviating “range anxiety.”
- Eco-Smart Parking
- An application that provides users with real-time location, availability, type, and price of parking, resulting in reduced parking search times and emissions
- Dynamic Eco-Routing (Light Vehicle, Transit, Freight)
- A navigation routing application that determines the most eco-friendly route, in terms of minimizing fuel consumption or emissions, for individual travelers
- Eco-ICM Decision Support System
- An application that uses historical, real-time, and predictive traffic and environmental data on arterials, freeways, and transit systems to determine operational decisions by system operators that are environmentally beneficial to the corridor
Eco-Approach and Departure at Signalized Intersections, Eco-Traffic Signal Timing, Eco-Traffic Signal Priority, Connected Eco-Driving, and Wireless Inductive/Resonance Charging
Eco-Lanes Management, Eco-Speed Harmonization, Eco-Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control, Eco-Ramp Metering
Low Emissions Zone Management
Eco-Traveler Information Applications, AFV Charging/Fueling Information, Eco-Smart Parking, Dynamic Eco-Routing (Light Vehicle, Transit, Freight), Eco-ICM Decision Support System
Connected Vehicle Pilot Deployment and Program Evaluation
Phase 3 Operation and Maintenance (June 2019 - present)
Phase 2 Design, Build, and Test (Sep 2016 - present)
Phase 1 Concept Development (Sep 2015 - Sep 2016)
Preliminary Planning Phase (April 2014 - Sep 2015)