The U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) Is Hosting a Web-based Rapid Consensus Meeting on Connected Vehicle Pilot Era Standards
The USDOT is hosting a two-day, web-based rapid consensus meeting involving connected vehicle pilot deployment sites, the Certification Operating Council, and other key stakeholders. This Connected Vehicle Pilot Era Standards Rapid Consensus Meeting will take place from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm EST on December 14th and December 15th, 2015.
This meeting will focus on pilot team coordination and is not a general discussion of standards.
There is a confluence of things influencing deployment planning:
- The USDOT created the reference architecture last year and is strongly advocating early deployers use it. The connected vehicle pilot sites are considering how they might use the reference architecture.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is making rapid progress on its Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM). This NPRM will cite specific versions of standards. Standards development organizations have stepped up to deliver the necessary new versions of standards. Work has started to build the next generation of cryptographic processes to support the update.
- Several car companies have publicly or privately stated that they will include dedicated short-range communications (DSRC) based activities in the MY17 vehicles, which indicates that design freezes are imminent. Aftermarket parts suppliers and field equipment suppliers are working on product offerings to complement the original equipment manufacturers' MY17 plans.
- The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) seeks to update roadside equipment definitions as part of its infrastructure deployment guidance.
- The USDOT has been working on incubating the certification industry to support all of these related efforts.
Purpose of Meeting
This meeting will allow participants to begin to arrive at a common understanding on a number of key issues related to the goal of deploying interoperable connected vehicle systems in the Pilots Era. This includes identifying and/or establishing the following:
- The list of appropriate standards associated with key reference architecture information flows
- The version of those standards that will apply in the Pilots Era
- A common interpretation of key elements of those standards
- A preliminary pass/fail criterial protocol implementation conformance statement (PICS) associated with those interpretations.
This meeting particularly targets individuals involved in connected vehicle pilot deployment sites, the Certification Operating Council, and other key stakeholders. This meeting is open to the public. However, the focus of the meeting is the coordination of the pilot teams, not a general discussion of standards.
Title: Connected Vehicle Pilot Era Standards Rapid Consensus Meeting
Date: Monday, December 14, and Tuesday, December 15, 2015
Time: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm EST (each day)
Draft Agenda: click here to view
To learn more about the ITS JPO's research, please visit: www.its.dot.gov.