Vehicle-to-Everything Communications Summit Summaries Are Available
The U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) has posted summary documents from the Vehicle-to-Everything (V2X) Communications Summit held in August 2022 on the ITS/V2X Communications Website. These documents include a short summary synopsis of key highlights and recommendations from the two-day event; and a more detailed summary that provides insight into the various panel and breakout discussions and action items that resulted from the summit.
Since the summitís conclusion, the U.S. DOT has been conducting activities emphasized by industry and public sector stakeholders as critical path items for future connected, interoperable V2X deployments. These critical path items include:
- Working to facilitate an improved level of Federal coordination between the U.S. DOT and Federal Agency partners by meeting with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA)
- Addressing issues associated with the pending Long-Term Evolution Cellular V2X (LTE-C-V2X) Waiver Requests and proposed parameters of the operational and technical service rules during the waiver period (as part of this work, U.S. DOT has also communicated with several of the waiver petitioners)
- Finalizing the testing on unlicensed national information infrastructure (U-NII) in-vehicle interference
- Advancing ideas for V2X Summit 2.0 and increased stakeholder collaboration
- Initiating plans for developing a unified vision and comprehensive national plan for connected interoperable transportation environments as a means of moving V2X deployment forward.
The Department envisions a Nationwide Interoperable Connected Transportation System that improves safety and the environment, reduces congestion, and is equitable. We look forward to working with public agencies and industry to determine a strategy and timeline for achieving this vision.
This fall, the Department issued the Advanced Transportation Technology and Innovation (ATTAIN) and Strengthening Mobility and Revolutionizing Transportation (SMART) Grants, with V2X technologies as eligible activities. Proposals have been received and evaluations are underway.
- December 12, 2022: The U.S. DOTís multimodal V2X Spectrum Team and the ITS America V2X Standing Committee meet on December 12 for a discussion on issues with the pending waivers and the ongoing analysis (in partnership with NTIA) to respond to FCCís open questions.
- December 14, 2022: The U.S. DOT V2X Spectrum Team and the FHWA Connected Vehicle Pooled Funds Study (CVPFS) discuss pending waivers and ongoing activities. See the presentation for this and the ITS America discussion here.
- January 9, 2023: The Intelligent Transportation Systems Joint Program Office (ITS JPO) presentation of ongoing V2X communications activities during Transportation Research Board (TRB) Session 2115, State of the Intelligent Transportation Systems (presented by Egan Smith, Acting Director, ITS JPO) at the Transportation Research Board (TRB) meeting from 1:30 to 3:15 PM in Salon C of the Washington Convention Center.
- January 9, 2023: The U.S. DOT V2X Spectrum Team to host open conversations from 3:30 to 5:00 PM in the TRB Convention Center Conference Room #302 with TRB meeting participants to gather additional inputs. Discussions will also focus on next steps and ideas for follow-up engagements leading to another full Summit 2.0 in Spring 2023 for formulating a notional National Vision and Deployment Strategies.
If you would like further information on any of the activities listed here, please submit an email to email@example.com.